Iterating over a dictionary's sorted keys

Philip 'Yes, that's my address' Newton nospam.newton at gmx.li
Thu May 25 15:44:29 EDT 2000

On 25 May 2000 08:56:38 GMT, scarblac-spamtrap at pino.selwerd.nl (Remco
Gerlich) wrote:

> All your other approaches create lots of temporary stuff too.

But not named temporary stuff that sticks around.

> Why the problem with multiple lines and an extra variable here and there?

Philosophy, I suppose. Got a few idioms from the functional-programming
style and liked the conciseness involved. Like using map instead of
looping by yourself. Or the Schwartzian Transform in Perl, rather than
using lots of temporary variables and more lines -- it's become a
standard idiom now.

I don't want to have an unsorted version of the keys of a dictionary
around -- I just want the result.

I suppose "for key in sorted(d.keys()): pass" is the closest to what I
want while balancing the needs of readability and one-line-ness.

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <nospam.newton at gmx.li>