Is it just Syntactic Sugar ?

Eric Hagemann ehagemann at home.com
Mon May 22 21:26:40 EDT 2000

Based on some recent code I have been writing I am courious on
describing the following as 'syntactic sugar'

a common operation is to

a=a+1

which in C can be written as

a+=1

in its simplest form I agree there might not be much to this but if you
do this with a complex expression as

a[x][f][g] = a[x][f][g] + 1

does the python engine recompute the 'address' of the variable 'a[x][f][g]'
twice ?

Would the a+=1 for speed things up or is it just expanded to a=a+1 anyway ?

I have found that

p=a[x][f][g]
p=p+1

is faster than above so I kinda believe the 'address' is computed twice (I
am leaping here)

Comments / Thoughts ?

Cheers
Eric

P.S.  The application, if you are wondering is to generate counts of events
in log files
the events have various dimensions such as date/time/orgin that I catalog
them by