PyBalsa?

Henning Schroeder hschroeder at gmx.net
Mon May 8 18:42:24 EDT 2000

Vetle Roeim <vetler at news.ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> * Harry George
>> I like the look-and-feel of the gtk-based balsa emailer.  But it has
>> classic C-based crashes in the current pre-release.  I was wondering
>> if anyone knows of a python-based rendition?  A lot of replicated
>> funcionality, I know, but I hate non-gc'd languages.
> I really can't understand why someone would *want* to write an
> application like this in C. It makes me angry and frustrated.
> It could probably have been done faster and better in Python.
In deed Python is great for mail processing. For me it was fun writing
BoboMail (a webmailer - see http://bobomail.sourceforge.net) with it.

*But* it lacks one important "feature": speed.
Try parsing a mailbox (using mailbox.UnixMailbox) with 600 messages
and compare it with e.g. mutt.

So a C module would be essential.

Henning

henning.schroeder at informatik.uni-oldenburg.de