Bit length of int or long?

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Wed May 17 14:44:28 EDT 2000

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Pinard?= <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
[snip]
What goes around, comes around - this is a fairly regular topic.

> P.S. - Yet, how does one ideally proceed to know the bit length of an
> integer?  I presume `math.frexp' is not too slow at producing the first
> float.  Floats are a bit unexpected in my little integer-only application.

Christian's your man for this; try:

http://x37.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=502074262

and this thread is tangentially related interesting reading:

http://x37.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/viewthread.xp?AN=502802053

Cheers,
M.

--
  I also fondly recall Paris because that's where I learned to
  debug Zetalisp while drunk.                          -- Olin Shivers