PalmPilot and python

Jeff Collins collins at seal.aero.org
Wed May 10 17:11:24 EDT 2000

Jeff Senn writes:

 > Jeff Collins <collins at seal.aero.org> writes:
 > > memory.  First, on the PalmIII (PalmOS 3.0), there is only about 48K
 > > (roughly 96K total) of usable heap space, a large portion of which the
 > > python VM gobbles upon initialization.  This is improving on the newer
 > > devices, which contain as much as 256K of heap.  The small 4K stack
 >
 > FWIW- on a similar project we are considering writing a malloc-ish
 > thing for the Palm that uses a records in a "scratch database" as
 > "heap".... just a thought... (Gah! I wish they got PalmOS
 > right-er...at least it's not WinCE...)

Other projects (don't remember which - PocketSmalltalk, PocketForth?)
that have tried to use the DataManager for virtual memory eventually
gave up because of the speed hit.  Apparently, DM accesses were just
too slow.  I'd be interested to see improvements in this area.

 > Any psychic energy I can send along to aid the Palm port is on its
 > way...
 > ;-)

There it is!  Got it.  Thanks;)

Jeff