VxWorks Port

Jeff Collins collins at seal.aero.org
Thu May 11 11:46:43 EDT 2000

I don't know about VxWorks, but I have ported python to Brightstar
Engineering's PPC-823 based embedded platform.  The port was fairly
straightforward for both of their supported operating systems: the
POSIX-compliant RTOS (called "pkernel") Linux.

During my (unreleased) port of Python-1.5.1 to the palm, I was able to
significantly reduce the size of the code itself - down to approx
160K.  That's still quite large by palm standards, but small by python
standards.  As the port of 1.5.2/1.6 continues, I'm finding ways to
reduce the size of the source (then will examine the memory model to
find ways of reducing the use of the heap).  This will hopefully
benefit all embedded applications.

Jeff