Python 1.6 - Built-in exception class not found: UnboundLocalError (solved)

mrkbutty at mcmail.com mrkbutty at mcmail.com
Wed May 10 15:37:33 EDT 2000

I was going to post a "help me" message - however I've solved my 1.6
install problem!

You see - after installation I was getting the error:

Built-in exception class not found: UnboundLocalError.  Library
mismatch? [Warning!  Falling back to string-based exceptions

And it turned out to be my unusual installation - I have a Windows
machine with two partitions, C: is Win98 and F: is Win2000.  I already
have python 1.52 installed on Win98 so I installed version 1.6 onto
Win2000.  Upon starting the python command line the error above was
reported.  Further investigation showed that sys.path was pointing
to "C:\progra~1\python".

It seems that even though nothing within Win2000 references the C:
drive it still imported environment setting from Win98 (The PYTHONHOME
environment var was pointing to C:). The solution is to set the
PYTHONHOME environment within Win 2000 to point to the correct area on
the F: drive.

Hope this can help anyone else with an unusual configuration.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.