Schwartzian Transform in Python?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat May 13 00:56:30 EDT 2000

[François Pinard]
> The "technique" called Schwartzian Transform by Perlers is as old
> as earth (OK, OK!  I agree we should put eternity in some relative
> context, here :-).
>
> I just wanted to say that I'm surprised that someone could so easily
> give his name to such an old technique.  I presume that there is
> some confusion between the syntax and the method?

I don't think Mr. Schwarz named it after himself, it was an honor bestowed
upon him by a grateful community.  Just another instance of "new money for
old rope" -- most people who get a reputation as a computer genius do so by
recycling 18th-century mathematics <wink>.

if-you-know-that-1/3-doesn't-terminate-in-decimal-you're-a-
    trivial-generalization-away-from-being-a-floating-point-
    wizard-ly y'rs  - tim