Python multiplexing is too hard (was: Network statistics program)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu May 18 10:48:31 EDT 2000

Cameron Laird wrote:
>                    .
> Right.  asyncore is nice--but restricted to socket
> connections.  For many applications, that's not a
> restriction at all.  However, it'd be nice to have
> such a handy interface for communication with
> same-host processes; that's why I mentioned popen*().
> Does no one else perceive a gap there, in convenient
> asynchronous piped IPC?  Do folks just fall back on
> select() for this case?

Hm, really?  For same-host processes, threads would
do the job nicely I'd say.  Or you could probably
use unix domain sockets (popen only really works on
Unix, so that's not much of a restriction).

Also note that often this is needed in the context
of a GUI app; there something integrated in the GUI
main loop is recommended.  (E.g. the file events that
Moshe mentioned.)