Error message

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 25 03:47:06 EDT 2000

"John W. Baxter" <jwbnews at scandaroon.com> writes:

> We've been muttering about error messages lately (partly in connection
> with the case threads).
>
> TypeError:  not enough arguments for format string
>
> The most recent time I encountered this, the actual error was:
>
> TypeError:  too much format string for arguments
>
> (I had put one too many %... thingies into the string for the data I
> wanted to deal with.)
>
> I'm just musing...I don't see a need for any changes here.

I particularly hate:

   TypeError: illegal argument type for built-in operation

It just tells you nothing.  I've been meaning to whip round the Python
sources and replace all the calls to PyErr_BadArgument (for 'tis that
that gives the above message) with something a little more helpful,
but I haven't got round to it yet...

Cheers,
M.

--
  A witty saying proves nothing.                           -- Voltaire