Damnation! (was: Re: Python3k extended grammar)

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon May 22 04:20:11 EDT 2000

Russell Wallace <rwallace at esatclear.ie> écrit:

> Incidentally, let me remark as a Python newbie on a pleasant surprise.
> [...] I'm quite astonished at the quality and civility of comp.lang.python.

Some correspondents had commended Python to me for a long time, but I was
involved in some big Perl programming, and was not ready for the effort of
any big change.  Yet, the Perl community was letting me with a bad taste
in the mouth.  When I was described the qualities of `comp.lang.python'
as a group, it was the real push that convinced me to dive and try.

Of course, I then hesitated for a few weeks, because of the size of the
conversion ask.  But Python proved itself to me fast enough, and this is
on the way of the translation that I discovered most of its virtues, often
with surprise and pleasure.  I still read Perl, and even write it once in
a while.  But I've done the transition, and Python is now my place! :-)