C++ extension module crashes on Solaris

Carey Evans c.evans at clear.net.nz
Mon May 22 04:18:15 EDT 2000

sharris at nospam.primus.com (Steven E. Harris) writes:

> Other advice involving compiling the extension with '-fPIC' also
> seemed relevant, but turned out to not make any difference. Now I'm
> not sure why '-fPIC' _isn't_ required!

If you don't compile with -fPIC, the code will be relocated when it is
loaded.  It can't be shared between processes this way, though, so
each Python that loads the extension will get a new copy of the code.

"CA|\| NE1 0N Th]5 BB0ARD T3Ll M3 H0w 2 GeT KeWL S]Th P0WeRZ!?!?!?!??!?"
                  - seen in alt.binaries.warez.protocol-droids.c3 by henke