Stuck

Fergus M Hayman shayman at uniserve.com
Wed May 17 16:14:05 EDT 2000

Hi
   Trying to process a file and format it for printing.

As such

import string
f = raw_input('Enter file  : ')
line = f.readline(f)
while line:
    for i  in line:
        line = f.readline()
            if line == "H3':
                    print " Region", '\t:',  [0:]      #       Extract
first item in  line H3         ??
                     print " District", "\t", [1:]

        My infile looks like this  from a handheld device

H1: 9085, FERGUS, HAYMAN
H2: 71G, NORTHVIEW DLS
H3: VANCOUVER, CHILLIWACK
H4: 00100s, 100, SB$. 01
TILL
H7: 22000

 I      Need formatted output  something like

Region        :
VANCOUVER
PAGE 1 OF     1
DISTRICT:
CHILLIWACK
DATE OF SCALE
Scaled by   : FERGUS HAYMAN

SITE            SCALER        RETURN
  71G                  9085                 100

:?         Does the  f.readline() function automatically put   the input
file into a list ie []
or a string?          I  though a list would be right for text
formatting.      and file maniputaltion.

(  I can't figure out how to access say   item 71G in  H2:   and assign
it a place on a print statement)

This is the header first 7 lines i need to be able to slice and dice the
log data that follows for species,
volume etc.