Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon May 22 07:43:44 EDT 2000

Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote:
> Mike Fletcher wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I have been bit by case problems probably five or six times (in
>> five years or so).  That said, I find working with case insensitive
>> languages difficult to the point where I will not use them.

> The truth of the matter is that, irrespective of whether or
> not a language is case sensitive or not, using inconsistent
> case for the same thing is an extraordinarily bad idea, and
> would be extremely poor engineering practice.

It's the indentation argument all over again, in fact:

The truth of the matter is that, irrespective of whether or
not a language is indentation sensitive or not, using inconsistent
indentation is an extraordinarily bad idea, and
would be extremely poor engineering practice.

Since Python enforces the indentation issue, but the same philosophy
it ought to enforce the case issue. And does. :)

Regards,

Martijn