What's in a name?

Edward S. Vinyard vinyard at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed May 24 13:09:12 EDT 2000

In some instances, case sensitive languages are exploited:

1. Case can add semantic information to the names of classes,
   functions, and instances.  An example: You might capitalize the
   first letter of all classes, and make the first letter of all
   functions and instances lower-case.

2. Case can be used to delimit multi-word names.  An example:
   spam_counter vs. spamCounter.

I realize that this list is almost certainly incomplete, but a direct
discussion of the ways that case sensitivity can be exploited might give
us a better understanding of our preferences and/or illuminate other ways
to convey these types of information.

Ed