Future of the Python Linux Distribution

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Sun May 7 21:21:04 EDT 2000

Vetle Roeim <vetler at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> on 2000-05-07, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>
> he uses a lot of them. Common Lisp, Ada, Simula, C++, C, Haskell,
> ML. he knows languages impose restrictions, but he dislikes the
> restrictions Python impose.

Incidentally, Haskell uses whitespace much as Python does.

> > Lisp *IS* a PR-problem.  Lisp needs to change its name and shed some
> > syntax before it's ever going to get 'mainstream' acceptance; the
> > ideas in lisp are good, but too many cs students have been tortured
> > with it ...
>
> I'm afraid I haven't been tortured with it myself. I've been
> tortured with Standard ML, Prolog, Java and stone-age C++ (pre
> ISO/IEC 14882:1998), but not Lisp (I have encountered other
> languages, but I've just been slapped hard by them.. not tortured).

Common Lisp is a really amazing language. Once you've read the
understood _The Art of the Metaobject Protocol_ you are one quarter of
the way to provisional wizard status. (The other three-fourths are b)
understanding Haskell's monads, c) grokking Prolog, and d) becoming
handy with a combinator-based language by implementing a Forth.)

Neel