Do I always have to write "self." ?

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Tue May 2 17:49:40 EDT 2000

Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
>*I* don't think
>Hungarian is nasty -- I see it as a tool a programmer can use to keep
things
>straight in his head, and on paper, precisely as a Physicist would use
units
>to keep things straight in his/her head.

But particle and nuclear physicists (at least) don't use units  :)
There are a couple of notations where basic physical constants are
set to 1, eg:
  c == speed of light == 1
  h_bar == planck's constant/(2 pi) == 1

This reduces the need for carrying around a lot of extra constants,
like c**3/h**2.  When the calculations are finished, you then say "and
because the final terms must be units of spam, we add eggs**3/viking".

                    Andrew
                    dalke at acm.org