Decimals to fraction strings

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri May 19 09:53:28 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8i882a.39n.jraven at corvus.local>,
Jeff Raven <jraven at psu.edu> wrote:
			.
>Dirichlet proved that given any number alpha and integer N, there
>is always a 'good' approximation p/q such that q < N. This fraction
>can be calculated directly using a rather clever argument, but
>the method of continued fractions ought to give you the same thing.
			.
			.
			.
Let me be sure I understand your quantifiers.  "Dirichlet
proved that ... there is always at least one 'good' ...",
correct?

Here's where I'm ignorant:  how is Dirichlet's construction
more of a "direct calculation" than a standard continued-
fraction computation?
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net