Indented gonads.

Harry George hgg9140 at seanet.com
Fri May 26 18:03:32 EDT 2000

The key point is that the various "helpful" agents scattered through
MS products default to on.  It is one thing to allow someone to turn
them on -- they will thus also know how to turn them off.  It is quite
another to turn them on by default.  Frequently I've had to help
casual MS users untangle the effects of those agents -- and had to
work hard to find the off buttons (which sometimes move from release
to release).  That is either bad usability design or a deliberate
mindshare absorption.

Until I see some evidence of MS stupidity, I'll assume they know
exactly what they are doing.  Given the megabucks they spend on
usability testing, I'll assume the decision to turn helper agents on
by default is deliberate mindshare absorption.  By that I mean
roughly:

The MS world is complete enough that many people (esp. upper mgmt) can
do all their work in the MS mental model.  The MS model is so alien to
other computing mental models that straddling two or more models is
difficult.  [Anyone who works in both MS and UNIX knows what I mean.]
Only people who seriously push their pain thresholds can do so -- and
they are by definition nerds/geeks, who can be safely ignored by CIO's
and CTO's.  The harder it is to shift mental contexts in and out of MS
products, the easier it is to lock in the customer base.

Whether or not this is evil, it sure is good customer lockin.

--
Harry George
hgg9140 at seanet.com