Error in trying to locate bitmaps files

Fanny Yeung fannyy at idmail.com
Fri May 5 03:20:55 EDT 2000

Hi,
It is me again with similar problem but this time is coming from PhotoImage
can not find the file (lumber.gif). I try full path and even put @ before it
but it still can't create the image. Any idea.

from Tkinter import *

root = Tk()
photo=PhotoImage(file='lumber.gif')
text.image_create(END, image=photo)
text.insert(END, 'I dare you to click on this\n', 'bite')
text.pack(side=LEFT)
scroll.pack(side=RIGHT, fill=Y)

root.mainloop()

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "E:\PROGRA~1\Python\Tools\idle\ScriptBinding.py", line 131, in
run_module_event
    execfile(filename, mod.__dict__)
  File "E:\Program Files\Python\Tkinter
Programming\Examples\chapter04\text.py", line 23, in ?
    photo=PhotoImage(file='lumber.gif')
  File "E:\Program Files\Python\Lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1874, in
__init__
    apply(Image.__init__, (self, 'photo', name, cnf, master), kw)
  File "E:\Program Files\Python\Lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1839, in
__init__
    self.tk.call(('image', 'create', imgtype, name,) + options)
TclError: can't invoke "image" command:  application has been destroyed

Thanks again.

Mak

Fanny Yeung <fannyy at idmail.com> wrote in message
news:7P5Q4.21796$H7.1348779 at brie.direct.ca...
> Hi Robert,
> I hardcode the full path and it is working now.
> Thank for your help.
>
> Mak
> Robert Cragie <rcc at nospamthanks_jennic.com> wrote in message
> news:newscache$dbpztf$hqb$1 at jenpc07.jennic.co.uk...
> > The syntax of 'bitmap=@<filename>' goes straight to Tk, therefore
> appending
> > to sys.path won't make any difference . A snippet from the Tk help file
> says
> > this:
> >
> > <snippet>
> > @fileName
> >
> > FileName must be the name of a file containing a bitmap description in
the
> > standard X11 or X10 format
> > </snippet>
> >
> > Unfortunately, that doesn't help me much either; maybe some other kind
> soul
> > can help.
> >
> > If you specify the full path for the file it works, e.g. on my machine
> >
> > Label(f2,bitmap='@C:\\Program

Files\\Python\\src\\Grayson\\examples\\chapter04\\bitmaps\\woman',text="My
> > second label in tk",relief=RAISED).pack(side=LEFT, padx=5)
> >
> > works OK. That's why the example works - the pathname is valid relative
> > where the application is run.
> >
> > A word of warning - if you're trying to enter things interactively in
> IDLE,
> > you can get unstuck with Tkinter apps. as IDLE is written using Tkinter
as
> > well. The most notable thing is NOT to call the mainloop() method in
IDLE.