Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue May 30 01:27:08 EDT 2000

In article <8guvc1$6ed$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
Xtian  <bopy_nooner at my-deja.com> wrote:

>Sorry - just to clarify one point... PL/SQL (in Oracle) is quite a
>widely used programming language which is case insensitive, although
>the case in the code is maintained by the system. In fact, pretty much
>all SQL is case insensitive as far as I know.

Don't be so sure of that.  While I can't speak to Oracle, in MS SQL
Server, you can set the underlying database to be case sensitive, which
also affects all field/table names.  This case sensitivity doesn't
affect language keywords, which leads to a weird scenario where *part*
of the SQL code is required to be case sensitive....
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Have you coined a word today?  --Aahz