Python / Visual Basic mathematical comparison

Matt mck at iag.net
Wed May 24 02:12:18 EDT 2000

I am new enough to Python that I do not yet have a full grasp of the
language and it's elements. I would like to know if there is an
existing comparision between the Python and Visual Basic languages, or
if anyone can offer up opinions based on experience.

Specifically, I am interested in where either language is more
comprehensive in built-in elements used for prototyping or developing
financial or mathematical programs. I am not concerned with GUI
building capabilities, but the base ability to crunch numbers, by
providing a wider range of functions and data types (without having to
implement them by hand in the language).

I would consider both languages to be somewhat "general purpose", not
specifically geared to particular application types, such as FORTRAN
or COBOL. But sometimes, if a tool is too general it can be lacking.