Java vs Python

Harry George hgg9140 at seanet.com
Fri May 26 18:09:34 EDT 2000

I've often ported Modula-3 NT<-->UNIX by just recompiling.  The
key seems to be abstraction of the os and file system interfaces.
E.g., if you use hardcoded "/" vs "\", you are in trouble.  If you go
to the trouble of using abstracted path joins, it is a piece of cake.
Python allows (but does not require) use of those abstractions.

In contrast, I've lost portability in Java apps when one version of a
needed library was not available on a given platform (e.g., swing).
And you can of course still screw up by hardcoding those "/" and "\"
paths.

--
Harry George
hgg9140 at seanet.com