Python for Kids

Jeff Massung jmassung at magpiesystems.com
Tue May 2 15:56:24 EDT 2000

Warren Postma wrote in message ...
>> First question: what do I need to be careful of, if anything when using
>> Python on Mac?
>
>I think the bigger issues than using a Mac are how to teach programming to
>young kids.

Tkinter was hard for me (new to Python - and I use a Mac) to get going, and
it won't work from inside the interpreter. And I think graphics are key for
kids.

Not to stray from promoting Python (which I love), but maybe starting with
Hypercard would be better? Easy to code (but many things can be done), and
the graphics and sound are already there.

I coded and edu. math game for 8-12 year olds in Hypercard 1 summer at
Fermilab, and it went over really well with the kids. Maybe you could start
them with one and move to another?

Jeff