A TYPICAL NEWBIE MISTAKE?

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sun May 14 22:57:37 EDT 2000

> >  def __init__()
> >
> >   i=0
> >   f=3.1
> >   s="str"
> >   ll=[]
>
> Actually, it should be:
>
>   class MyClass:
>
>     def __init__():
>       self.i = 0
>       self.f = 3.1
>       self.s = "str"
>       self.ll = []

You forgot the (self) in the def line... :)

> Note that without the 'self.' in __init__() (or any other method), a
> variable *local to that method* is created; the variables would disappear
> upon the completion of the method.

Yeah, I make that mistake all the time. The interpreter
is constantly correcting me. It's my c++/java background
with its implicit "this".

I miss the colons all the time, too (as Mr. Pinard so
readily pointed out.... ha). Which brings me to the topic.
Sometimes colons seem syntactically unnecessary. For example:

	if <condition>:
		statement
	else:
		statement

Really, else doesn't need a colon, as far as I can tell
(I can see the need for the if, supposing you wan to
have the statement on the same line).

Doesn't seem like "def" does, either.

C/