Stackless/microthreads merge news

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Tue May 9 16:11:22 EDT 2000

Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> writes:
> BTW the Kaffe code was interesting, especially  how the JIT works.
> I'll look into this again, but not for Java. ::))

Ah yes... I looked at it a bit when he first was hacking.

Food for thought:

Several times I have considered what it would be like to have a
'simple-unified-VM' that supported continuations (if not full
continuations -- then at least micro-threading) and could run Python,
Java Script, Ruby, ... [Visual] Basic?, Perl??, ... Java????...

It would not really be that hard -- I would give up type-strength and
speed-performance in the first go-round in favor of a tiny and simple
extremely portable VM that applied an extensible library of primitive
functions to Python-style dynamically typed objects on the heap.

--
-Jas

P.S. Consider what would happen when I "compiled" my Java Script code
and then ran the Python de-compiler on the byte-codes... :-)