BOM should be ignored by Python

Warren Postma embed at geocities.com
Tue May 2 08:59:17 EDT 2000

> I believe this was discussed on python-dev, and decided that Python itself
> should not handle BOM markers at all - simply leave them to the app.

Python IS an app though. If the app named Python is going to live with UTF
source
editors, then Python must become aware of unicode when reading it's own .py
source
code files.  Is python ever going to handle source code in Unicode?

A cautious first step would be  UTF-8 "acceptance".  Handling a python
source
file (.py) differently, not changing open(). Actually, new open() type
function (uopen() ?) would be nice, that has all the semantics of Unicode
handled by the file objects created by the uopen() call.

Warren