Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sun May 21 17:59:37 EDT 2000

On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 02:21:09PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:

> I haven't used Alice.  The counter-argument I've heard from some who have is
> that this was much more a problem with Alice than with Python, in that Alice
> exposed various predefined modules and classes with LongAttributeNames but
> in a variety of distinct styles:  case-sensitivity hurt because the graphics
> methods used case inconsistently in their names, and nobody could keep all
> its idiosyncracies straight.  With benefit of full ignorance, I have to say
> that sounds more plausible to me than that humans are baffled by
> *consistent* use of mixed case.

Amen to this. Wether it's true or not, I have a *very* hard time believing
people have trouble with the fact that a != A. The rule is very simple, and
very pythonic: if it looks different, it *is* different(*).

Let-the-tool-fix-the-user--not-the-language-ly yr's,

(*) Excuse my ignorance if I offended any UTF/UCS or whatever character
interpretation dingus, with that remark :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>