Future of the Python Linux Distribution

Paul Boddie paulb at infercor.no
Fri May 12 10:54:40 EDT 2000

andrich at my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> well I don't know what the problem of some people is. But go and get a
> dictionary. Search for rhetoric and then reread my message. At least my
> Oxford and my Webster provide the valid explanation of this word.
>
> If we could leave this stuff out and discuss the topic, I would be more
> then happy.

Indeed. I don't read comp.lang.python to read about Perl. As for the suitability
of your Linux distributions, I can honestly say that I haven't used them, but I
can see the continued need for binary versions of Python for several platforms
for the following reasons:

  * Python doesn't even come with every Linux distribution out there - the Corel
    Linux download version didn't seem to have it when I checked.

  * Many operating systems don't come with a (working) C compiler. Installing a
    C compiler isn't always something that people want to get involved with.

  * Some people want to use Python on operating systems where they can't access
    a C compiler. CGIPython is one attempt to meet this need.

  * New users in particular shouldn't need to get deeply involved with
    installing software they just want to use. I am familiar with the
    './configure' then 'make' then 'make install' process and the complications,
    but I imagine that most people are not.

I needed a binary version of Python about 18 months ago for the Solaris machine
that I use, but then I got round to installing GCC. I can imagine that such
binaries would be useful for others, though.

Paul