Python on 64 bit/IA-64 ...

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn at roguewave.com
Tue May 9 13:36:01 EDT 2000

I'm assuming Python will run more or less out of the box on ia64 *nix
systems, Win64 might be more of a challenge though... (anyone have a native
compiler yet :-)  As long as you remember that long long is spelled __int64
you should be well on your way.  The MS compiler is relatively good and much
faster than the Intel elc compiler (and we've seen occational problems with
complicated c++ code with the Intel compiler -- not something that should
affect Python though...)

Since we've had to work in a cross compilation environment, I've personally
only used Python on the 32 bit client -- occationally having Python write
bat scripts that are run on the win64 machine... (it also seems to help
stability -- kind of interesting though when win is more stable than *nix on
a platform <wink>)

-- bjorn