*blink* That's neat.

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Tue May 30 11:40:50 EDT 2000

Fredrik Lundh <effbot at telia.com> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> > btw, usability research has shown that "and" and "or" are about the
>> > worst names you can use for these operators.  how about renaming
>> > them in Py3K? ;-)
>>
>> The Alice project again, right? :)

> nope.  they're not the only ones out there who thinks that
> programming languages are user interfaces.

Well, programming languages are user interfaces of a kind, for that class
of users that is or wants to be a programmer (which may or may not be
Everybody).

>> just-had-to-make-that-comment-ly yours,

> yeah, HCI people cannot be very smart if they don't under-
> stand how computers work, can they?  better ignore them.

I'm not claiming we should ignore HCI people. You were the one who started
with the silly usability research comment. :) But if certain HCI people
produce research that shows 'and' and 'or' are about the worst names for
these operators, then I'd indeed question that research and those particular
HCI people. There isn't actually such research, is there, though, I assume?

Note that I'm not questioning the Alice result on case-sensitivity;
I'm sure case-sensitivity confused beginners. It's just that the Alice
result is not the whole picture; there is the consistency of spelling
argument, and the desire for certain idioms that make use of case, for
instance. Then the debate starts on whether those advantages of
case-sensitivity outweighs the advantage case-insensitivity brings
to beginners.

Anyway, we've all gone through that 5 times already. :)

Regards,

Martijn