OT [Way OT]: Unicode Unification Objections

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Mon May 8 14:46:19 EDT 2000

François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > A similar situation holds in almost every written language.  We often
> > dump Latin or French words into English text.  Even though they may be
> > written in the same alphabet, we usually want them to *look* different
> > from ordinary English words.
>
> The situation is just not similar.  I do not have a strong, perpetual need
> that the look be different, and the truth is that as a French reader, I
> honestly do not mind much if we use the same characters.

on the other hand, if you tell me that I should start sorting swedish
names in ISO Latin 1 order (or german, or english, etc), or that leaving
out the dots and rings when comparing strings won't hurt anyone, I'll
reach for my revolver.

> I'm not saying that Japanese are right or wrong about unification.  This
is
> their problem and their decision.

afaik, ISO 10646 has been adopted as a japanese national standard, so I
assume they've made up their mind on this one.

</F>