Why should I switch to Python?

Francis Glassborow francis at robinton.demon.co.uk
Fri May 12 08:12:29 EDT 2000

In article <391C7B1D.2D3D at seebelow.org>, Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org>
writes
>My complaint with Python as a learning language is that it spoils you.
>Just as it's hard to convice BASIC users of the need to declare
>variables in C, it will be hard to convince young Python programmers of
>the need to do that and all kinds of other stuff when they proceed to
>learn other languages.

Yes, just like the difficulty of persuading children to move on from
simple noun-verb(-noun) sentences to ones using clauses and phrases etc.
I strongly believe in learning on a basis of need rather than because
someone else thinks it would be good for me.  Of course if we want to
keep programming an arcane art practised in secret by the initiated then
Python is very bad for us:)

Francis Glassborow      Association of C & C++ Users
64 Southfield Rd
Oxford OX4 1PA          +44(0)1865 246490