What's gives with Activestate?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu May 4 12:08:07 EDT 2000

Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net> wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 12:02:22PM +0000, Don Tuttle wrote:

>> If Activestate really wants to endear itself to the Python community, why
>> not develop a centralized repository for all the widely scattered Pyton
>> modules? This would fill a great need at a relatively low cost to them.

> Widely scattered ? Which modules are those ? As far as I know, most can be
> found in the Vaults of Parnassus (www.vex.net/parnassus).

That database does not contain the modules itself, just links to them.
Not that this ever bothered me much; I think Parnassus is great and check
the 'latest' entries frequencly. It'd be nice if parnassus could be
extended so it could keep local copies of modules. Also nice would be
somekind of distutils integration. Tim Middleton, the secret force
behind the Vaults, knows about both ideas.

I've been toying with the idea of implementing a Zope-based version of the
Vaults eventually myself. That should be able to offer some interesting
features. (hm, just got a weird idea: test the module through the web!
obviously this is hopelessly insecure, but..)

But right now time does not permit me.

Regards,

Martijn