other python ideas

Russell Wallace rwallace at esatclear.ie
Wed May 24 16:37:28 EDT 2000

Jeff Massung wrote:

> Arnold de Vos wrote in message
> <392b1f96$0$2624 at news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...
> >Yep.  As pointed out on this group from time to time, import from * can be
> >harmful.
>
> I'm new to Python - I'm understand why it is harmful (finally ;) - but was
> wondering, if it is that harmful, why have it to being with (what good can
> come from using it)?

I use it in all my Python code.

> Also, what would be the harm in removing "passed down importing" (that's the
> only way I could think of to state it)? If y imports z and z imports y, why
> not have z have to import x to get the functionality of x, too?

I use that in all my Python code too.

I want to be able to get on with the job without worrying about trivial
details, and one of the trivial details I especially want to not have to
worry about is exactly what module the function or variable I need is
in.  C can do that; a language that couldn't would be a major step down
for me.

Yes, I understand the reasons why other people do it differently.  In a
really big project with multiple teams of programmers I'd probably do it
differently too, but in the small-to-medium projects that I work on, I
prefer the convenient way.

--
"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem."
Russell Wallace
mailto:rwallace at esatclear.ie
http://www.esatclear.ie/~rwallace