Searching for leaks

Chuck Esterbrook echuck at mindspring.com
Sat May 20 22:58:22 EDT 2000

I have memory leaks in my long running Python program which I assume are caused by circular references. Using my knowledge of the program, I eliminated some of these, but to no effect on the magnitude of leakage.

I checked the FAQ for memory leaks, but just saw the GC entry.

Using a GC package isn't an option since I expect others to be able to use this package without having to have a "special" version of Python.

So my question is: Are there any tools, techniques or tips to help find memory leaks?

For example, getting a count of all the various objects (broken down by type and class) could be really useful.

-Chuck