How to get terminal width?

Justin Sheehy dworkin at ccs.neu.edu
Wed May 3 19:48:11 EDT 2000

Doug Stanfield <DOUGS at oceanic.com> writes:

> Please don't patronize me.

My apologies.  I didn't mean to patronize you in particular, just
anyone that thinks that "runs on my redhat box" means "portable".

If that's not you, and I came across as patronizing you, I am sorry.

I have simply been bitten too many times by people writing software (or
dispensing advice) that have that attitude.  You may not think that
way; I don't know.

> My only point was to correct his statement that "...  you don't get
> it (COLUMNS) on contemporary Berkeley or Linux platforms."

He was clearly using "contemporary Berkeley or Linux platforms" as
examples to illustrate his point, which was that "the COLUMNS
environment variable isn't universally available on UNIX platforms".
He was correct in that, even if COLUMNS is available on Redhat.

There's not much point in continuting this in any case, as a portable
solution seems to already have been supplied.

-Justin