PyBalsa?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon May 8 17:59:36 EDT 2000

Henning Schroeder <hschroeder at gmx.net> writes:

> *But* it lacks one important "feature": speed.  Try parsing a mailbox
> (using mailbox.UnixMailbox) with 600 messages and compare it with
> e.g. mutt.  So a C module would be essential.

I know I'm cheating, as Babyl files are a bit simpler to parse than `mbox'
files, yet I was recently surprised by the blazing speed of parsing a
Babyl file in pure Python, through some careful use of `string.find'.
My impression is that the same could be done for `mbox' as well, with
a bit more of attention.  By the way, I choose to not fully rely on the
modules in the Python library, as they do more work than I really needed,
and I felt (without checking) they would slow things down significantly.