How to "shell out"?

Robb Shecter shecter at darmstadt.gmd.de
Thu May 25 13:50:07 EDT 2000

Hi,

I want to write a python wrapper for the Linux "dialog" package.
I'm having problems invoking the utilities from Python, though.  The
libraries I've found so far for doing this (commands module)  capture
the outputs and inputs of the new process, and this means that the
display is never shown.

Is there a library function in Python which lets it really shell out
to a new process, giving the new process complete control over the
terminal, and putting itself on hold until the process completes?

Thanks,
Robb