Microthreads: wait( duration ) with minimal processor overhead, u

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sat May 27 00:01:32 EDT 2000

> Normal sleeping threads (for instance, a thread that has blocked while
> waiting for input from a queue, or waiting for a timer to finish) do not
> take up any processor activity until the they are reactivated by the
> event that wakes them. I think you may be working on an already-solved
> problem.

Eh? These are *microthreads*. Using thousands and thousands
of "normal" threads will clobber your cpu. And yet in a very
simple test of microthreads, I was able to spawn up 10,000 of
them and watch them finish in under 3 seconds flat. Quite
remarkable.

I'll be a monkey's uncle if the author of the uthread library
doesn't know all about how normal threads work...

C/