OT: why tar is strange

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Sat May 27 19:03:16 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
[snip]
> Well, I'm an old DOS man, so I tend to flatter myself that I have a
> balanced view of the command-line-versus-GUI thing.  I still use DOS for
> many of my little "system administration" tasks, but I also use the GUI
> stuff for a major part of it.  Maybe its about a 60/40 split for me
> overall.

That may be because the DOS command line is such a sad miserable excuse
for a command line (and *still* it's more powerful than a GUI sometimes..).
A command line with filename completion (and a history, though DOS has a mode
for that, and actually powerful commands) is very different from the DOS
command line. And I 'grew up' with that command line too. But there's such a
large difference. I imagine there are extensions for the DOS command line
that make it more bearable, but the default annoys me each time I need to go
back to it from Linux.

And on Windows, I always use WinZip. And on Linux, I always use the
command line to unpack files. Overall I'm a trifle more comfortable with the
latter as I need to click less than with WinZip. Anyway, both systems
have their merits.

Regards,

Martijn