What's gives with Activestate?

Philip 'Yes, that's my address' Newton nospam.newton at gmx.li
Sat May 6 03:47:03 EDT 2000

On Thu, 04 May 2000 21:50:41 GMT, "Don Tuttle" <tuttledon at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Check out this major resource the Perl community has - http://www.cpan.org
>This site is mirrored on many servers around the world.  Think of the
>disruption the Starship crash caused.  That could not have happen to CPAN.

Well, depends. Since we were just talking about ActiveState, Win32 Perl
hackers depend heavily on ActiveState's repository of pre-compiled Perl
extensions (database, image manipulation, etc. etc.) -- if their server
were to go belly-up, a whole lot of people would cry, since AS's
repository isn't completely mirrored anywhere AFAIK, and there are only
a handful of public repositories for pre-compiled Win32 modules (Dave
Roth, Jenda, dto.rk). CPAN doesn't help those Win32 users who haven't
got a compiler but need a non-pure-Perl extension.

>(Then again, the anacronym works for Python too.  Maybe one of you hackers
>could just graft us a tree onto CPAN.  Don't think they'd notice do you?
>;-)

Probably not, actually :-). Just request a CPAN / PAUSE ID and upload
stuff to your directory. I suppose cpan-testers (who AFAIK receive
notices of newly uploaded stuff) would by a bit mystified, though ....

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <nospam.newton at gmx.li>