Python Front End to Dos Progrrams?

James Pannozzi James_Pannozzi at aon.com
Fri May 5 12:13:10 EDT 2000

We have a bunch of DOS legacy apps that drive everyone crazy. They run in a
dos box on our W95 computers and we don't have time to re-write them as
Windows 95 apps just yet.

One app uses the F4 key to do something, another one uses alt-tab combo,
another uses F2 and then an <enter> keypress.  Most of these apps are
provided to us by different companies (no source available).   Some are
written in old versions of Visual Basic.

Has anyone ever written a Python front-end to DOS based programs in which
the user clicks on a menu  and then the Python program generates the correct
set of goofy dos app keypresses and sends it to the dos app?  Is this
do-able?

Thanks
Jim