help with PYTHONHOME / unix

Frank Mattes mattes at rfhsm.ac.uk
Tue May 23 08:03:50 EDT 2000

Hi all,

I'm new in this group and my question might be silly for most of us,
however I could't find
the answer on the net.
I'm compiling a program "pybliographer-1.0.0" which needs python
1.5.2. I have installed python from the binaries on my hp-ux, which
has a slightly different install tree.

Python is installed in

/opt/python

with

/opt/python/bin  			<------ the program
/opt/python/lib/python1.5 		<------ the lib files
/opt/python/include/python1.5 	<------ the include files

the "configure" script gives the following error:

checking for python... /opt/python/bin/python
checking python version... Could not find platform dependent libraries
<exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
1.5
checking python devel... Could not find platform dependent libraries
<exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
found

However I don't know how to set-up the variable.

Can anybody help me.
I appreciate any help

Frank
Department of Virology