OT: why tar is strange (was: The REALLY bad thing about Python lists ..)

Juanjo Álvarez jajs at NOSPAMretemail.es
Sat May 20 13:04:20 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin dijo sobre OT: why tar is strange (was: The REALLY bad thing about Python lists ..),
en fecha: Sat, 20 May 2000 08:40:54 +0100

|With all due respect to the Windows-bashers of the world, I personally
|think that trading flexibility for convenience is a very good tradeoff:
|it makes me productive.

While you launch and use winzip I can type 5 times "tar zxvf" (or
"unzip") on my xterm (with the command completion, of course).

In fact, there are GUIs for gzip and tar on Unix, for example,
KArchiver. But very few use them once they learn to do "tar zxvf". Its
simply faster.

Force a Unix lover to use Windows... the first thing he probably does is
to install the GNUtils.

Force a Windows lover to use a (even with the GUI tools) Unix... after a short
time he probably will be using the magic "tar zxvf" anyway.

And I see that constantly on my job, were we have Windows NT and Linux
boxes (err... computers).

don't-underrate-the-power-and-speed-of-a-good-CLI'ly y's Juanjo