Buffer overflows?

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Fri May 26 13:25:15 EDT 2000

aahz at netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) quoted Michael Ströder:
> >Well, it's obvious that there are no problems with string buffers
> >(like strcpy() in C) within pure Python code. But many modules (e.g.
> >socket) are wrapping C code. How about these modules? Are there any
> >security reviews of the C code of the Python library?

Not as far as I know.  I went on a search-and-destroy mission for
unchecked sprintf("%s",...) calls a long time ago (pre-1.5, I think),
but I don't really know anything about security auditing.  It would be
nice to know if anyone has carefully audited Python, or if anyone is
willing to do so.  Wasn't there a linux-audit mailing list where
people would volunteer to audit stuff?  Or maybe the OpenBSD group has
looked at Python?

Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.
  -- Larry Wall, 14 Oct 1998