__builtins__

Huaiyu Zhu hzhu at rocket.knowledgetrack.com
Tue May 30 21:30:07 EDT 2000

On 30 May 2000 17:57:28 -0700, Johann Hibschman
<johann at physics.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>Ah.  You should not be using __builtins__.  As far as I understand it,
>that is a hack variable, which you cannot trust.
>
>The module you seek is __builtin__  (no s.)
>
>If you want these functions, the Right Thing is to "import
>__builtin__" and then use "__builtin__.min".  The fact that there is a
>variable named "__builtins__" is an accident of the implementation.

Thanks for the info.  This choice of name is very confusing, to say the least.
I used commandline completion with __buil TAB, and got __builtins__.

Should the interpreter be modified to import __builtin__ automatically and
to delete __builtins__ before it displays >>>?

Huaiyu