How python development is speedy!

Richard Brodie R.Brodie at rl.ac.uk
Mon May 15 12:27:42 EDT 2000

"Sunil Hadap" <Sunil.Hadap at cui.unige.ch> wrote in message news:391FFDB5.FC9A85CA at cui.unige.ch...

> When I look at my Python code, I see little difference in terms of
> development efficiency as compared to C++ when used with STL and other
> good libraries. Does the higher types such as lists and tuples make
> Python so powerful, after all C++ had all that.

I think part of the problem is that STL is a relatively recent development.
Many of the more useful features in C++ like templates and exception
handling are the worst implemented, and the least well understood.

I think the observation noted in the oft-quoted language comparison
http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~prechelt/Biblio/jccpprtTR.pdf is relevant:

'It is an interesting observation that despite the existence of hash table
implementations in both the Java and the C++ class libraries none of the
non-script programmers used them, whereas for almost all of the script
programmers the hash tables built into the language were the obvious
choice.'