Copyright and License

Arun Sharma adsharma at sharmas.dhs.org.nospam
Wed May 10 00:11:24 EDT 2000

On 9 May 2000 12:14:04 GMT, Bernhard Reiter <breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE> wrote:
> [For using the BSD license.]
> > There's no danger that you'll get ripped off in a serious way.
> > GNU is pushing a particular ideology for software, but short of
> > that most everyone just wants to avoid getting sued.
>
> This sentences are flawed. If you do not use a strong Free Software
> license other Companies might lock up your code and make money from
> your work.

No one can lock up my code. Big companies lock up *their* code. They'll
just be mixing it with mine. I don't particularly care if they make some
money using my code.

I've seen these license debates go no where, because facts and opinions
get mixed up. The first three sentences in my previous paragraph are facts.
The last one is an opinion.

My personal opinion is that GPL'ed projects hinder further commercial
innovation by explicitly prohibiting that. Yes, I know the free
beer/speech argument. I also know that companies can survive by providing
support for GPL'ed projects, but they don't have enough of an incentive
to innovate.

	-Arun