OT: why tar is strange

Will Rose cwr at crash.cts.com
Sat May 20 01:33:18 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
: Will Rose wrote:
:>
:> Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
: ...
:> And you'd need a version of tar which understood all the various forms
:> of compression.  I come across three or four on a pretty regular basis.
:> Generally I find that archiving and compression are more conviently
:> considered as two separate processes.

: I don't know what the tradeoffs are among the ones you use, but
: personally, I greatly prefer the fact that the Windows world only has
: one as its de-facto standard.

Right.  But I use a heterogenous bunch of OSes, including Windows, and
I like having the various higher performance tools available where possible.
If you just stick to Windows, zip probably isn't much of a handicap, and
as you say it's the de-facto standard there.

Will
cwr at cts.com